[an error occurred while processing this directive]

My portable dishwasher is leaking where it attaches to the faucet. Is it possible to repair it?

Portable Dishwasher UnicoupleThe part of the hoses that snaps onto the water tap is call a unicouple or unicoupler. The internal parts of these can wear causing them to become too loose to stay attached when under water pressure or their seals can leak.

The unicoupler used to be able to be repaired rather than needing to be totally replaced. By the way, the unicouple itself is not usually available separately but may only be sold with one or both hoses already attached from the factory.

There have been several different designs of unicouples used over the years on both dishwashers and portable washing machines. We will try to describe the differences to help you get the correct parts to repair the one used on your appliance.

Old Style Dishwasher Unicouple CollarThe oldest style unicouple should be able to be identified by the locking collar ring. This type used a plastic covered metal collar. You may also be able to see actual ball bearings inside the top opening of the unicouple. These ball bearings are the things that actually grip the adapter mounted on the faucet nozzle.

New Style Dishwasher Unicouple CollarThe newer style unicouple utilizes an all plastic locking collar (white or black). Also, instead of ball bearings to grip the faucet adapter, this type used keystone shaped plastic wedges which should be visible inside the unicouple opening.

GE Style Dishwasher Unicouple Repair KitIf you have an older dishwasher made by GE, these require a totally different repair kit. The original GE unicouple repair kit comes with several O-rings, a couple of retainers (that usually break upon disassembly) and new grippers that look similar to roller bearings.

Dishwasher Faucet Adapter

For these various systems there have also been several different faucet or 'tap adapters' which screw onto a sink tap, used to mate with the dishwasher unicouples. Most commonly however there are only 2 different sizes, one of which has an aerated version (see below center). The smallest shown (rightmost below) was most commonly used on GE appliances but may be found on some other brands as well.

Various washer and dishwasher tap adapters

Unicouple Repair Kits (dishwasher and washer)
Old Style Dishwasher Unicouple Collar

  • Old style unicouple repair kit
  • Unicouple seal only (for leaking)

  • Old G.E. dishwasher unicouple repair kit

    New Style Dishwasher Unicouple Collar

  • Newer style 'collar' repair kit (white, w/bleed valve)
  • Newer style unicouple repair kit (black)
  • Unicouple seal only (for leaking)

    Unicouple and Hose Assemblies
    Unicouple with Hoses

  • for Portable Clothes Washer
  • for Portable Dishwasher
  • for Whirlpool Portable Dishwasher
  • for Maytag Portable Dishwasher
  • for GE Portable Dishwasher
  • Replacement for GE Portable Dishwasher*
            *original design no longer available

    Unicouple w/o Hoses

  • for Haier products, comes with Tap Adapter
  • for Frigidaire products, comes with Tap Adapter

    Popular Faucet/Tap Adapters (dishwasher and washer)

  • Most Popular Tap Adapter
  • GE Tap Adapter (new style)
  • GE Tap Adapter (original style)
  • Haier Tap Adapter
  • Danby Tap Adapter

  • [an error occurred while processing this directive]

    Return to the Appliance411 Home Page
     Appliance411 Home 

    The Purchase | Home Service | Repair Parts | Q&A Forum | Appliance Links
    News | FTC Disclosure | Contact Us | Privacy
    Refer this Page | Support Appliance411

    Copyright © Daniel O'Neill 1997-2022. All rights reserved.